Spring has sprung and summer is just around the corner! Which means warm weather outdoor adventures! Okay, not really. I mean, we DO live in Laramie and it does seem like we have different seasons than others. You know, the seasons of Winter, Cold, Snow, Freezing, Freezing Cold, Snow, Wet Snow, Cold, July, & August! I’m almost certain it has snowed at least one day of every month of the year (except for MAYBE August). Thus, in celebration of “shorts weather” (translate: it’s nearly 50 degrees outside!!), I give you the first of ten (10) Weekend Camping Series Recipes.
Cuz we live in Wyoming and we are bad*** and we aren’t afraid of the cold! Pfffft! Who am I kidding? My idea of camping is a reservation to the Hilton with a spa!! But alas, I married a hunting/camping fool. So I have to put on my big girl panties and suck it up. At least I’ve been upgraded to a pop-up camper trailer with a heater and a toilet! Living high on life! High on life….I know!
Just like your everyday life, camping via Zone takes some planning and preparation! I don’t know about you, but I like to make things very simple when we’re camping!! I really don’t enjoy trying to prep stuff outdoors. Swatting at flies every 2 seconds and then inevitably spilling what I’d just been working on! Well stress no more my friends! Breakfast is gonna be a piece of cake! Well, not literally cake. Though my children would LOVE that!
I like to lay the foil out along with the Flat Out tortillas before I begin. Then I can easily divide all the ingredients up!
Next comes the fun part! Trying to fold these puppies without tearing them into oblivion!!
I fold the ends like so….then…..
roll it over…
Then wrap in foil and mark. Place them in a baggie to keep moisture out. In the morning pop on your grill or even at the edge of your campfire. Easy Peasy!! I have also frozen these and use them when we’re in a rush for time at home as well!!
Zoned Breakfast Burritos
Serving size 1 ~ (3P, 2.33C, 3F) ~ makes 3 burritos
- 1 T. butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 Flat Out Whole Wheat Tortillas (90 or 100 calorie version) These are AMAZING and exactly 1 block!!
- 3/4 oz. turkey sausage (weigh your meat!! I know…I hate it too! But it is approx. 2/3 of a 1/4 measuring cup if ya want to cheat!!)
- 2 T. cheese
- 1/3 c. onion
- 1/3 c. green peppers
- 1/2 c. salsa (garnish)
- Melt butter in a skillet.
- Whisk eggs.
- Add eggs, onion, and green peppers and place into skillet. Cook about 2-3 minutes or until scrambled eggs are done.
- While eggs are cooking, tear off 3 sheets of aluminum foil.
- Place Tortillas on each foil piece.
- Once eggs are done, divide eggs evenly onto tortillas.
- Next, cook sausage using same pan.
- Add on top of eggs. Then sprinkle with cheese.
- Next fold each burrito and fold with foil. Place them in a Ziploc bagging and put in the refrigerator or cooler.
- The next morning put burritos on grill over the fire and cook until warm.
- Top with salsa.
**Add a piece of fruit to finish out your carbs**
Feel free to add/subtract any ingredient to make into a 2 or 4 block meal. My kids hate green peppers, so I eliminate the onions & peppers. You could also add spinach or tomatoes to the eggs. However, the flat outs are shaped more like an oval and can be harder to fold!