Once upon a time, before bread & pasta was the “devil”, this magical soup was requested at the kings table quite frequently! Now with October full of sunshine…I mean snow, it was time to give the recipe a revamp and try it zoned style! This ones a keeper I tell ya! A MUST try for Suuure! Rave Rave reviews at my dinner table. And my non-vegetable loving daughter didn’t even complain about all the zucchini in it!! Right on!
This is the Yum & VERY necessary IMHO!! However, you Paleo folks can eliminate it!
Place Yum at the bottom of the bowl & sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella
Serves 4 ~ 3P, 2C, ?F (I didn’t calculate fats…sorry! It’s a little more than 3 because of the sausage…but it’s worth it!!)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 2/3 c. chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 2 ~ 14-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 4 c. zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 c. finely chopped fresh basil leaves (optional…I usually sprinkle with dried basil to serve)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the cheesy yum
- 8 oz. ricotta
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 c. mozzarella
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add sausage, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes.
Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute.
Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
- Add Zucchini and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Right before serving, stir in the basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.
- Serve with a side of steamed veggies & Enjoy!!
Original inspiration: http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/2011/03/24/lasagna-soup/