Week TWO of the nutrition challenge….by far the hardest of them all! I remember it vividly, and all I wanted was pizza, pastries, bread, sugar, and CHAI! All of the let’s do this attitude is gone and quite frankly you’re about ready to wrestle your coworker for those M&Ms she currently popping in her mouth. I soooo get it! I’m here for you (or maybe it’s more for your coworkers, family, friends, etc??)
These puppies have been in the makings for months and months and months. I know that I’m “technically” on a DESSERT BAN, but since these don’t contain ANY sugar they’re technically not a dessert…more of a breakfast food really…..right Doug, Candy? (I suppose I could do 100 DUs if I’m found guilty, but just remember that it was done for all of you!!) 🙂 I know by this time you challengers are looking for something bread like. Or something that will cure your sugar blues (besides brownies cuz figs are nowhere to be found)!! So I’ll take one for the team and be punished if I must (I’m secretly hoping one of the above mentioned doesn’t read this til Dec, then I’m in the clear!). And did ya notice that I didn’t suggest burpees or pull-ups or thrusters?? 😉 I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I ain’t stoooopid!
The pecan is basically just for looks really. It’s not necessary, but I liked the little bit of added crunch.
Banana Bread Muffins
Makes 14 ~ 1P, 1.1C, 3.1F per muffin
- 3 ripe bananas (the riper the bananas, the sweeter and better your muffins will be!!)
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c. almond flour
- 6 Tbsp. coconut flour
- 1-2 Tbsp. applesauce
- 2 Tbsp. flax meal (leveled….I made the mistake of heaping this one time and it really changed the flavor & texture)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 14 whole pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a whisk or potato masher until smooth.
- Whisk in butter, eggs, 1 Tbsp. applesauce, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients (minus pecans). Be sure to mix well and remove any lumps.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix well. If dough seems too dry, add the additional 1 Tbsp. applesauce.
- Divide evenly into 14 lined muffin tins.
- Add one whole pecan to the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes clean.
- Let cool on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes.
Original Inspiration: Paleo Banana Bread